Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Here's some more of the Sky story.......This time it's in Sky's point of view.



First, a tad bit of a background to the part:

Nicolle and Sky are at Nicolle's friend, Rachel's, 18th birthday party. Nicolle found out Sky's in a band with a few friends and volunteered them to play at Rachel's party. Sky's band, PinPoint, was quite a hit.





I walk over to Nicolle. She notices me coming and turns her head to look up at me. She doesn't smile. But she doesn't frown either. I take that as encouragment. I lean on the porch railing beside her and give a contented sigh.
I don't say anything. I wait for her to start talking.
She starts. "You were really good tonight."
"Thanks." I glance down at her, through my hair.
A loud shriek comes from inside the house, then the sound of shattering glass and people laughing.
Nicolle jumps.
"Doesn't sound to good in there, does it?" I ask, turning to face the backyard, instead of the house.
She shakes her head.
"Is that why you're out here?"
"I guess. Mostly, though, I'm just not a people person."
"I noticed that." I nod.
Sometone turns up the music on Rachel's stereo up really high and I can feel the deep bass vibrating from all the way across the house.
We both fall quiet.
Quiet. Something I'm comfortable with. Quiet means good. Quiet means no Dad yelling and swearing and crashing through the house. Quiet means peace. I can't tell if Nicolle is quiet or not. I decide to try and find out. "Do you like loud music?"
Nicolle smirks. "No. Anothe reason I came outside."
"Do you like to dance?" I almost smile, remembering long ago when Dad would twirl Mom around the house. They were both laughing then. It was loud. But a different kind of loud than Dad had become.
"Nope."
"Do you want to dance?" I look at Nicolle full on, brushing the prickly hair from my eyes.
She frowns. "What do you mean?"
I shrug. "Exactly what I said."
"I can't dance." Nicolle gives a tense chuckle and looks away from me.
"You don't have to. I can lead."
Nicolle is quiet for what seems like forever. And strangly, this is one silence I don't like. She finally looks back at me. "This really isn't dancing music. Or the place to dance?"
I grin. "Any music is dancing music."
"No thanks."
I'm surprised that I feel the deep sting of dissapointment. I hide it well, though, forcing my lips into a grin. "No one's watching."
Nicolle wrinkles her nose. "Sky, I really don't know how. I'd end up stepping on your feet."
I cock my head. "Like I said, I know how. I can lead. It's easy."
She pauses. "What KIND of dancing?"
"Waltz?"
Nicolle laughs and I feel my cheeks burn. It didn't sound stupid to me until she laughed. "This is certainly not WALTZING music!" Her voice is loud, shrill, giggly.
I grunt. "Fine. You don't have too."
"I know I don't."
The song playing turned to a slower yet angry Hawk Nelson song. There was more breaking glass and a guy laughing.
I turn from Nicolle to go back inside, see what is happening.
"Sky!" Nicolle calls me back over to her and my stomach flips.
"Yeah?" I ask.
"You don't have to leave." She looks up at me, into my eyes.
I blink, looking back at her. I wear more eyeliner than she does. I let my hair fall over my eyes again and look away.
"Um, do you want to dance?" Nicolle sounds heisitant now, unsure.
"What?"
"If you really want to, you can dance with me. I guess. Since no one's watching I can make a complete idiot of myself." She rolls her eyes and runs a hand through her hair.
I smirk. "I;m going to make an idiot out of myseld too then, huh?"
Nicolle smirks right back at me. "Oh yeah."
I keep quiet and take one of her hands in mine. I swallow. Her hands are so tiny. Mine envelope her's almost completely. It has been a long time since I have held a girl's hand. The softness of them surprise me. I take hold of Nicolle's other hand and Holly's cheeks flush pinker than her lips.
"Ready?" I ask.
She nods.
I start slowly, twirling her in a small square, noticing her eyes are locked on my arms.
"Can I ask you a question?" She says.
"Yep."
"You said you're 18, right?"
"Yep."
She lifts her gaze to my face. "Do you have any college plans, or something?"
I blink. That was unexpected. I swallow. "No I don't, actually."
"Hm." Nicolle slightly frowns.
I continue, "My dad really could care less about what happens to me. He is obsessed with himself, more than anyone should be obsessed with themselves. But my mom, she was positive I'd get into Harvard or Yale, or something. I guess that's not gonna happen." My blood begins to boil. Just thinking Dad's name was enough for me to get furious.
I took a deep breath and start spinning Nicolle around faster and faster, until everything around us is a blur.
"What do you mean, 'was positive?" As soon as that escaped her mouth, Nicolle gasped. "I'm sorry," she said. "That's a bit personal, isn't it?"
I grin. "I don't mind." I lie.
My stings. I wonder if anybody misses Mom as much as I do. Probably not. Josh and Amber don't seem to care much. And Dad for certain doesn't care. He doesn't care whether she was alive or dead. That's why he killed her. He didn't care then and he doesn't care now.
"You OK?" Nicolle's tender voice break my thoughts and I suddenly relize we had stopped dancing. We are standing still, our fingers still entwined.
I pull my hannd back. "Why?"
"Your face got all sad."
I gulp, feeling like I can't breath. I don't say anything for a long minute. I concentrate on breathing. Breathing is good. Breathing means life. Breathing is something Mom doesn't do anymore. "Sorry," I say to Nicolle. "My mom died a few years ago. It's just still kinda hard to think about her."
Nicolle's face glows with sympathy. "Oh. I'm sorry."
I shrug. "It's OK." Another lie.



Alrighty, that's all I have so far. BTW, Josh and Amber are Sky's older brother and sister. He's the baby of the family by about 10 years. But tell me what u think!
:)

3 comments:

  1. I want to read more. You are an amazing writer. I can't believe how quickly I get drawn into your stories. Sky seems to be quite complex and Nicolle seems to be a little easier to read. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented in your in-depth descriptions that, when reading, I feel I am right in there with the characters. I, too, want to read more! One particularly emotional part that grabbed me was: "I gulp, feeling like I can't breath. I don't say anything for a long minute. I concentrate on breathing. Breathing is good. Breathing means life. Breathing is something Mom doesn't do anymore." Strong stuff, but how clear in how he is thinking at that moment.

    ReplyDelete