More Sky....
Background: OK, so first of all, Trace is Sky's cat. And second, Sabrina is Sky's dad's new girlfriend. Sky met her last night and Sabrina was being nice to him, asking questions, trying to get to know him. She asked a question that set Sky off a bit and he stormed out of the room. If you'd like to hear that part of the story, I'll email it to you.
A soft tap comes from behind my door.
"Huh?" I say.
The door opens a crack and Dad steps in.
His face sends shivers down my back.
He looks unsure of himself, sad. I haven't seen him look that way in...forever.
Dad opens his mouth, then closes it and opens it again, then shuts it. He sighs and puts his hand to the back of his neck. "Can I come in?" He asks. His voice is gentle.
I feel myself start to frown. Why is he acting like this? But I shake it off. I don't sense any fakeness in Dad's tone or look. "Sure." I tell him, pulling my legs up to my body so he can sit on the bed.
He sits at the end, as far away from me as possible, and rests his chin in his hands. He doesn't say anything for a minute and then he sighs again. "Ya know, Sky. Can we talk about Sabrina?" He whispers.
Sabrina? Why? But I just nod. "I guess."
Dad takes another short pause, giving Trace enough time to crawl out from under the bed and jump onto his lap, meowing.
Dad doesn't push him off. He strokes Trace's black fur, then starts talking. "I know you think I'm a bad person for...being close to Sabrina, because she is so much younger than me."
I feel myself frown again. What was Dad doing? He was never like this before.
I swallowed. I could toy with him a bit. Just to make him even more uncomfortable. "How old is Sabrina, Dad?" I ask.
I can see his face flush even in the dim light. "26."
"26?" I repeat. "Dad, you're 52. I think that's just a bit of an age gap don't you?"
"Yes, I do and that's what I'm talking to you about." Dad sounds sharp now, making Trace leap away, stopping across the room to glare at Dad before slinking out the door.
We are both quiet a second, before Dad speaks up. "I'm sorry. Sorry. What I want to tell you is, I really care about Sabrina. She's one of the sweetest girls I've met in awhile."
Yeah, Dad. GIRL is the keyword there. I want to say that. But I don't. I don't say anything. I just listen.
"And, last night, Sky, really hurt her feelings." Dad shuts his mouth and looks at me.
Last night...what was last night? Oh. When Sabrina asks the girlfriend question and I flipped. "That hurt her feelings?" I wonder.
"It did."
I notice Dad doesn't ask why I acted that way about that question. Why I got angry.
"Oh. Sorry." I say.
Dad reaches over and pats my knee. "It's OK. Just, she wants to get to know you, Sky, she really does. She has a good heart. She wants you to like her. She wants to be a friend to you. And you have to admit. That's more than Gabrielle or Sarah or any of the others wanted."
I blinked, but didn't say anything.
Dad bits his lip. "So, all I'm asking is can you just be nice to Sabrina? Give her a chance? For me?"
"Sure." I say. Although, I'm not going to do it for Dad. I'll never do anything for him. But I'll do it for Sabrina.
That's it. Tell me ur thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like it. Email the part with Sky and Sabrina. Boy, Sky's Dad is really manipulative isn't he?
ReplyDeleteI liked that one. It was really good. I would be freaked if I were Sky and my dad acted all sweet and calm like that, tho!
ReplyDeleteYeah I know, Kelsi! Like geez. Aunt Barb--his dad CAN be manipulative and he usually is. But not in this one, even though I know it seems that way. Sabrina just kinda made Sky's dad happy. Which that will explain itself later in the story. :)
ReplyDelete