Wednesday, July 15, 2009

OKidokie, here's some more...it's has a lot of Gavin in it.....:P

Background: Gavin and Nicolle have been dating for about 4 months. Gavin can see Sky REALLY likes Nicolle. He can also see that Nicolle adores Sky, but he's too dumb to understand she only likes Sky as her best friend. So Gavin, being the jeleous numbskull he is, has decided to try and stop Nicolle from being around Sky anymore. Gavin lives at home because he is going to college and he wants to save money that way. Kellie and Heather are his 6 year old twin sisters and Jamie is Nicolle's 12 year old brother...and this is in Nicolle's point of view...

Gavin puts his arm around my shoulder and presses the mute button, silencing Judge Judy in the middle of a sentence.
"Can we talk?" He asks. He turns his face down to mine, those gorgeous green eyes smothering me.
My stomach drops. I've never seen Gavin so serious looking. "Sure." I say.
"I want to talk to you about Sky." Gavin pauses as Kellie and Heather stampede down the stairs, shrieking.
The twins notice us sitting on the couch and they freeze, staring at us, their big bright eyes shining with curiosity.
"Hi, Nicolle." Kellie grins.
"Hi." I give her a small smile.
Gavin huffs. "Guys, go find Mom. Leave us alone, please." He snaps.
The girls frown identical frowns. "Why?" Kellie asks, as Heather shakes her head.
"We're talking."
Heather and Kellie don't move.
Gavin takes my hand in his and pulls me off the couch, then drags me out the front door, closing it behind us.
I laugh. "They're so funny."
Gavin's eyes roll. "They're annoying."
We sat next to each other on a wooden bench on the porch, our hands still pressed together.
Gavin pauses, then starts talking. "OK, as I was saying--"
He stops as the front door opens just a crack and Kellie's brown eyes stare out at us.
Gavin stands up abd marches to the door, making Kellie squeal and run away. Gavin pokes his head into the house. "MOM!" He bellows.
Mrs. Foster's reply was faint enough that I couldn't hear it, but Gavin shouted, "Can you come get Kellie and Heather?"
He waited another second, the shut the door again and walked back to me.
"Sorry about that." He gives a stiff grin.
I raise my eyebrows.
We are bth quiet a minute, before Gavin takes a deep breath, "OK, so about Sky. I really don't want you seeing him anymore." He looks at me again, his jaw set.
I feel my eyebrows cave in. Is he joking? I'm not sure. "Gavin, you're kidding right?"
I hear his back teeth grind together and he shakes his head. "No. Not kidding." He lifts his hand to my hair and starts to tuck a piece of it behind my ear, but I jerk back away from him, slightly frowning.
"Why?" I ask.
"Cuz."
"I need a better answer than that, Gavin. Sky is one of my best friends." I start to stand up, but Gavin hold onto my hand.
"Don't get mad." His face is carefuk, almost afraid.
"Tell me why, then."
Gavin pauses again, his gaze moving back and forth quickly. "He's dangerous."
I look blankly at him. None of us talked for a long time.
Then I laughed. It was more of a hollow airy are-you-kidding-me laugh than a HAHA-so funny! kind of laugh.
I say, "Gavin, Sky wouldn't hurt a fly. What are you talking about?"
Gavin's adam apple bobs as he swallows. "Well, Nikki, has Sky ever told you about his dad?"
"Not very much." I shake my head as my eyes search Gavin's. They are guarded. I can't tell what he's thinking. What's going on?
Gavin's voice seems far away. "What all has he told you?"
"He told me his dad couldn't care less about what happens to him and his dad is a drunk."
Gavin nods solomly. "Yeah. Has he ever told you about his anger issues?"
My blood freezes. "Who's anger issues?"
"His dad's."
Sky's dad had anger problems? Is that why Sky flinched when my dad was playing fighting with Jamie? Did Sky's dad hit him?
"He never told me." My voice is no higher than a squeak.
"He doesn't like talking about it." Gavin shrugs.
"Wow." I shake my head. "Poor Sky. But what does his dad have to do with Sky being dangerous?"
Gavin looks at me like I'm stupid. "Because if he ever turns out like his dad, he coudl hurt you. OK, here," Gavin's voice lowers to a husky whisper and he leans his head close to mine. "Sky's dad--" He brakes off wirh a sigh and pulls his face away.
"Yeah?" I prompt.
"Have Sky tell you. I want to see how honest he is with you."
I frown again. "But I thought you said you didn't want me around Sky. Not that I'm gonna listen to you."
Gavin frowns back.
"Gavin, seriously, Sky is a super close friend of mine," I say gently.
Gavin's frown deepens. "Alright, let me ask you this. Who has known Sky for over 15 YEARS?" He points to himself. "And who has known Sky about 5 MONTHS?" He turns his finger around and points at me.
I look at it. "That has absolutely no meaning, Gavin."
He huffs loudly and stands up, twisting to look down at me. "Fine, whatever. Go ask Sky what happened to his mom and then see if you still want to be close to him. All I'm doing, Nicolle, is trying to protect you."
I stand up and look at him. He isn't very tall. If I stand on my tippy-toes I'm taller than he is. "Gavin, you're being stupid. Just tell me what any of this has to do with Sky's mom. You keep adding new things into this." I raise my voice.
Gavin slightly shrinks and I am proud that I can intimidate him. "Nikki, darling, I honestly think it would be best of Sky told you. I already said too much."
"Gavin--"
He cuts me off with a wave of his hand. "Please? Go ask him now. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to see you." His tone turns icy.
"What do you mean?"
"Exactly what you think I mean. Sky would be thrilled to see, Nicolle. He likes you."
"Gavin, of course he likes me. I'm one of his best friends." I cross my arms.
"No, I mean he LIKES you."
That stops me short. Sky likes me? Gavin's mistaking. He's lying. "Sky doesn't like me, Gav. That's insane."
Gavin smirks. "Glad you think so. Cuz I've seen the way he looks at you. He more than just likes you."
I grit my teeth. "I don't believe you."
"You don't have to."
We stare at each other, both glaring, when a tiny thought bubble pops into my head.
"That's why you don't want me seeing Sky, huh? Cuz you think he has a crush on me, or whatever." I tell him.
Gavin's cheeks slightly flush. I can't tell why--his eyes are still blocked. "That's not true Nicolle. You should know that. I just--Sky's dangerous."
"I have to disagree."
"With what?"
"With everything you're saying!" I have a sudden urge to smack him. But I don't. I just stand there.
"Fine. I don't care what you think at the moment. Go ask Sky what happened to his mom. Nikki, I'm serious. If he ever turns out like his dad, he could be bad news."
"Sky's dad is Aaron Fletcher, isn't he?" I ask, forcing my facial features to go smooth and unreadable like Sky's. But I don't think I'm doing it right.
"He is." Gavin nods.
"Aaron Fletcher is just about the nicest guy in all of Roanoke. If Sky turns out like his dad, he'd be a success."
"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Gavin holds up his hands. "You just told me you know he couldn't care less about what happens to his own kid and that he's an alcoholic. And I just told you he has anger issues. And now you telling me, if Sky turns out like him, he'd be a success? That's mixed up."
I swallow. I did say those things. Sky did tell me that. Was the anger issues thing true? I wasn't believing anything else Gavin said but....
Everything I have read about Aaron Fletcher, every word I have heard him say was just about...perfect. Maybe Sky is exagerating, playing the victim.
You REALLY think Sky would do that? My mind hisses. I mentally shake my head. Sky's not like that.
My thoughts must be playing clearly on my face, because Gavin says, "It's true, Nikki."
I lick my lips. "Can I go talk to Sky now?"
Gavin nods. "Be my guest."
I nod back at him and start to walk off the porch, when Gavin calls me back. "Wait, your purse is still inside. Want to go get it?"
I shake my head. "I'm gonna see you later tonight, still, right?"
"That's my plan." He smiles.
"Can you just bring it then? Right now my brain is so clogged, I'd end up leaving it Sky's house."
"That's fine."
"OK," I say, as Gavin walks over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist in a tight hug.
I breathe in his scent. He smells like bubble gum and cologne.
He pulls back, grinning a tender smile. "I'll see you later, OK? And I'll make sure the twins don't get in your stuff."
I grin back. "Thanks."
I turn away and jog to my car.


OK, that's it for now! I plan to write what happens when Nicolle gets to to Sky's house soon. In the next few days. But tell me ur thoughts!
=)

1 comment:

  1. Great, great, great! It's getting even more interesting. I can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete